Polotical & Social Sciences
Fostering the establishment of strong democracies across European Countries, standing-up for Democracy and European values!
Modern democracies nowadays seem to be more fragile and vulnerable, while several European surveys refer to a “global political crisis”. Levels of trust in governance and democratic systems in the current political scene are lower than ever, while digital evolution and social media reflects the distrust phenomenon. Democratic challenges such as polarization, immigration and the challenge of sustaining multiethnic/multicultural democracies, globalization, economic inequality, and democratic discontent, the causes of populism and its consequences for democracy and the debate over institutional solutions are some of them.
ViLabs applies traditional and innovative methods, to address those phenomena:
- Quantitative and qualitative research, focusing on emerging political, social and cultural developments and phenomena
- Analysis of historical, sociological and philosophical factors
- Investigation and mapping of present challenges and tensions in democratic institutions
- Literature review on past efforts and initiatives and mapping of needs and shortcomings
- Development of innovative approaches, toolkits, proposed policies, as well as institutional frameworks to enhance political participation, social dialogue, civic engagement, gender equality, anti-discrimination and inclusiveness
- Participatory and co-creation approaches, to enhance active engagement of interested parties, citizens, public actors and representatives and other stakeholders
- Policy design and recommendations to improve, refine and reshape the accountability, transparency, effectiveness, and trustworthiness of institutions and public policies, with respect to fundamental human rights